Friday, September 30, 2011

So Much To Do, So Little Energy & Time

Well, I had planned to be productive this afternoon and study, but my whole body is aching and my head is swimming. The thought of reading countless articles for my essay is EXTREMELY unappealing, so I have decided to give myself a couple of hours just to be and then I'll see if I'm up to doing some study.


These past few weeks have been mayhem - with University, the Rugby World Cup, health problems, among other things. Uni's wrapping up for the year now. I've only got two more weeks of classes to go, but in that time I've got 2 essays due, 2 journal assignments to finish, a test, and exam preparation to do. This last week I got an infection in my foot, either in the bone or a joint, which made me feel like my bone was broken every time I moved. I managed to go to classes like this for two days but after crying all through my lectures and not taking in a word of what was being said, I was convinced that it was better if I went to the Doctors and then stayed home. I've been on antibiotics for the past week and the swelling seems to be slowly going down, although my foot is still bright red and really sore. (If I can work out how to do it, I'll include some photos of what my foot looks like at the moment).


On top of this, it's currently the Rugby World Cup 2011 which is being hosted by New Zealand. The games are spread between Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin and then a number of little towns across NZ. They held auditions a number of months ago for people to sing the national anthems at the games - and I was chosen! I've sung at 2 games so far, and have another 2 games to go. I've got the New Zealand vs. Canada game tomorrow afternoon, and then a Quarter-Final game next weekend. It's absolutely exhausting and the effort of simply getting onto the field for the game is enough to make me want to cry from pain, but I made the decision to stick with it. I mean, how many opportunities will I ever I have to do something like this? As painful as it is to do it, I think it would have been more painful to sit at home, and think about what I missed out on because of my health. It's been a lot of fun, and I've met some great people - other singers, and also rugby players!


The other exciting thing that's been happening is that the group of us here in NZ with CRPS/RSD are having a weekend away over Labour weekend. We've been planning it amongst ourselves and it's going to be such a blast hanging out with a group of people who understand this pain. It's given me something to look forward to for when I finish up at University this trimester. My last assignment is due on 21st October, and then I have an exam on the 9th November, so I have quite a bit of time to study for my exam when I get back from our weekend trip. It's so nice to have something to look forward to and to get me through the next couple of weeks. Not long to go now!


Anyway, I should best go and try and get at least an hour's study done while my pain is somewhat bearable. Let's hope I can finish my journal before I need to rest my body!




Playlist

  • Set Fire To The Rain - Adele
  • Bring On The Wonder - Sarah McLachlan
  • The Story - Brandi Carlile
  • Get Through - Mark Joseph
  • The Chain - Ingrid Michaelson
  • Scream - ZOEgirl
  • Long Red Hair - Vermillion Lies
  • One More Time With Feeling - Regina Spektor


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your anthem gig, Ailsa!! Sounds like a wonderful reason to push through that urge to stay curled up in bed. Wishing you much luck with your exams! xx

    ReplyDelete