Saturday, July 5, 2014

Up, Up and Away

People ask me what the past two months have been like, since Connie came into my life. Whenever I'm asked this, I struggle to find an appropriate answer. How do you find the words to describe something so life changing? Every day I'm reminded how lucky I am to have such an amazing service dog by my side, and there are no words to accurately and aptly explain how this beautiful dog has transformed my life. It's hard to put into words how much more confident I feel leaving the house with Connie leading the way. I never realised how much energy I used making sure I didn't walk into anything, or anyone, or trip on curbs, or miss a step. It's only now that I no longer have to do that all the time that I realise how much of my energy and brain power was going into those small tasks, stopping me from enjoying being out and about. It's revelations like these that show to me, my family, my friends, and my community, how much my service dog has already changed my life.

Now that I feel more confident and comfortable leaving the house, Connie and I have been having quite a few adventures as of late, alongside my friends and family. Going out is still very tiring for me, and never fails to increase my pain and allodynia. But some of the mental exhaustion is now reduced thanks to Connie's help, and being less at risk for falling over and breaking bones of course reduces any extra pain I have to deal with. Some of the things we have done together so far are:

  • An awesome train ride out to Kapiti Coast with two of my best friends. It was Connie's first time on a train with me, and she did really well. When we got to Kapiti, we visited my friend Emily's grandparents, which was lovely, and then spent a few hours on the beach, where Connie was very happy to have her jacket taken off so she could bound about and play in the sand.
  • A puppy play date with two friends' dogs. In the pouring rain. And howling wind. The dogs didn't mind in the slightest. We, however, were rather cold, and I definitely paid the next day from being out in such gross weather.
  • 3 movie visits (The Fault In Our Stars, and What We Do In The Shadows [twice!]). I have been blown away how calm and well behaved Connie is while at the movies. She just curls up at my feet and goes to sleep! Special shout out to Embassy Theatre, Wellington, who both times I've been there have given me an extra seats on either side of us for free so that Connie has more room!
  • A Tiny Ruins concert (which was awesome). Despite it being late on a Friday night, Connie was extremely well behaved and was super still for the whole show.
On top of these events, countless hours have been spent at University - both in my office and in classes - and Connie has continued to show everyone how great she is by helping navigate me through busy corridors, and sit quietly on her mat while I work at my desk. Connie's also becoming quite the cafe-goer in Wellington - special mention to Fidel's and Milk & Honey, who are two places that have been exemplary in their accommodation and service for me and my dog.

Tomorrow Connie and I are off to Auckland with my Mum to visit my grandma. To say she's excited to meet Connie would be the understatement of the century! It will be Connie's first time on a plane and I'm a little nervous, but Air New Zealand have been great in the lead up and organisation side of things. It will be so great to see my grandma, as I haven't seen her since before I went to New York in January, so it will be lovely to catch up and for me to be able to show her all the photos from my travels this year!

Final word: I've got a few media projects on the go at the moment which are aiming to help raise awareness of Assistance Dogs New Zealand, as well as my own fundraiser to help pay for Connie. I'll update here when I know more specific details ;)

Cuddles on the bed

This winter has been pretty cold so far, so Connie is finding heaters everywhere!

Kapiti Adventure - July 5th 2014

Kapiti Adventure - July 5th 2014

Kapiti Adventure - June 28th 2014

Out and about in Wellington

Sleeping

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is wonderful, I'm so happy for you Ailsa. I love the photos too, you and Connie look like you are getting along brilliantly and going on so many adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia!! Connie is so photogenic, so I have LOTS of photos to choose from :D haha

      Delete
  2. Am so pleased Connie is working out wonderful, it sounds like a whole new world has opened up for you now :)

    ReplyDelete